Protect Yourself from Ransomware
With a recent uptick in attacks and more expected on the horizon, ransomware is starting to make headlines again. It’s very crucial that agents and insureds know what ransomware is and how to prevent it. During a ransomware attack, criminals break in computer networks and install programs that encrypt data. Information that was the lifeblood of the business, your clients, or your personal life will be inaccessible until you pay the ransom in order to get a digital key that unlocks the data. According to the firm Cybersecurity Ventures, ransomware cost the global economy 8 billion in the last year. No one is immune: cyber criminals have targeted individuals, small, medium, and large businesses, as well as government institutions. There are different kinds of ransomware. Names such as Locky, Cerber, SamSam, Ryuk, Gogalocker, Megacortex, Robbinhood, GandGrab, and Crysis are all associated with ransomware or ransomware groups, which shows just some of the variety out there. Many companies try to keep ransomware attacks quiet, here are some public examples:
*WannaCry, the most known attack, affected 230,000 computers worldwide.
* Spanish mobile operator Telefonica
* French car manufacturer Renault
* German railway firm Deutsche Bahn
* Russian government ministries and companies
* Australian speed cameras
* British Airways
* Riviera Beach City, Florida, paid $600,000
* Baltimore and Atlanta, refused to pay but have spent millions recovering data
These are just examples of large attacks, it’s important to remember that small companies and personal computers are also at risk. To quote the popular adage, “It’s not if you’re hit, it’s when.”
- Back up files daily on a separate device NOT connected to you network.
- Install current anti -virus and anti-malware software.
- Always install the security updates for both your operating system and software programs.
- Use passwords that are not related to you personally and could not be guessed.
- Limit sharing and administrative rights.
If you have any questions, contact us at 817-277-6166. We have offices located in Midlothian Texas and Mansfield Texas. We are a independent agency that has access to many different companies to get you the right coverage. We also offer auto, home, commercial and bonds.